Paul S. Sizer... the "S" stands for "Quality"!
The Sequential Artists Collective of Kalamazoo wants you to add your talents to the SACK.
The Sequential Artists Collective of Kalamazoo (SACK) is an informal weekly gathering of comic artists in the Kalamazoo area for the purposes of sharing and generating work that advances the science of comic art and graphic storytelling. Started by Paul Sizer and Jane Irwin, SACK is modelled after other successful weekly drawing groups around the country like Dr. Sketchy. Our purpose is to bring together the comic artist community for networking, critique and sharing of info and techniques. And work. We all gather to work at SACK!
Our weekly gatherings take place every Wednesday at the Rocket Star Cafe coffee shop (www.rocketstarcafe.com/) and generally go from 7pm to 10 pm, although they can last as long as people want. The gathering is informal, and attendance is based on individual's availability.
OUR RULES AND GOALS (We're tough but fair!)
What we want at SACK meetings:
1. Artists who want to improve and grow in their craft:
Art is a constantly evolving skill, and everyone benefits from continuing to learn and expand their views and perspectives.
2. Artists who are producing work for themselves or for hire:
SACK is comprised of self publishers, amatuers and professionals in the comics field. A level of commitment to your work is encouraged, whatever that level is at this time.
3. Artists who want real feedback about their art:
Honest, informed and constructive critique is essential for artistic growth. This is NOT a mutual appreciation society; it is a place where critique leads to intelligent discussion and artistic advancement in our craft. Sharing of tips, info, business ideas, techniques and skills is all part of building a community of artists.
4. Artists who love what they do:
At the end of the day, we do art because it gives us enjoyment, provides us a voice, or lets us share stories and ideas. You must dig what you do to share with our group. We have a good time when we meet, but we're also serious about what we do.
What we DON'T want at SACK meetings:
1. Primadonnas and divas: If you want nothing but praise for everthing you do, get that from your grandmother; we're here to advance and learn, not mindlessly kiss each other's butts.
2. People who talk, but never listen: This is a two-way street; blowhards and loudmouths get kicked to the curb.
3. Close minded individuals: Racist? Sexist? Homophobic? Take it somewhere else, we don't have any room for you.
4. Lurkers: This group is a WORKING group. Attendees are expected to bring work to share or materials to work with during the meeting time. If you're coming just to hang out or screw around and bother others, you won't fit well with us.
Interested? If you're local to the Kalamazoo area and interested in participating with this group, feel free to join in. We usually meet in the front area of the cafe (we're kind of hard to miss). Or if you like, please feel free to email me with questions (firstname.lastname@example.org)